[linux-lvm] How to change default system dir

Zdenek Kabelac zdenek.kabelac at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 10:58:40 UTC 2022

Dne 28. 09. 22 v 17:16 Bartłomiej Błachut napsal(a):
> Hi,
> I have a question for you, because what I need is to change in my
> ubuntu(22.04) the localisation of default-system-dir from /etc/lvm to a place
> where I have write access e.g. /home/my_user/new_lvm_dir. I've tried so far to
> provide to ./configure option
> --with-default-system-dir=/home/my_user/new_lvm_dir or later I replace
> everywhere in code pattern /etc/lvm to /home/my_user/new_lvm_dir but without
> any success. Are you able to give me any idea how I can do it ?
>
> I tried it on main/stable branches git://sourceware.org/git/lvm2.git
> <http://sourceware.org/git/lvm2.git>

Hi

lvm2 basically always require a 'root' access for any 'real usable' lvm2
command - so saying you don't have write access to /etc  looks very strange to
start with.

We have also configure option  --with-confdir=[/etc]
but I still think you should start with explaining what are you actually
trying to do - as maybe there is some design issue??

Regards

Zdenek