[Lohit-devel-list] Request for help on classical style Lohit Tamil font

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 09:15:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM, pravin.d.s at gmail.com
<pravin.d.s at gmail.com>wrote:

> By looking at it, looks like new ligature will conflict with the existing
> Lohit Tamil rendering. Yes, "Lohit Tamil Classical" looks good to me.  I
> will check and do release of it.
>
> Do report bug against Lohit Tamil in Fedora  with the new .sfd fie.

Sir please tell me how to convert TTF to SFD as I do not have SFD file. My
additions were directly done in the TTF.

> Even if you do not wish to maintain such a font, it would be most kind of
>> you if you could help us adding the required OT table entries. If you would
>> prefer that we remove the name Lohit from such a separately released
>> modified font (as per the OFL) we can do so.
>>

> No props will do. It will be good to have both under same repo. So if any
> changes happening in Lohit Tamil i can reflect those in variant as well.

Thanks! That's great! I was actually wondering how to incorporate future
changes but you are taking it up -- that's really good of you.

BTW as I told you I have currently mapped the extra glyphs to PUA
characters. These mappings should be removed. Also I have added precomposed
{elephant-ai}nna {elephant-ai}nnna etc glyphs. These should also be
removed.

Please check the metrics of the new glyphs as I think our LSB etc are
different from yours. But note that the metrics of the {elephant-ai} glyph
should be such that when it simply replaces the regular {ai} glyph ை, it
will correctly go and touch into the nna ண nnna ன etc glyphs. Specifically,
it will definitely have a negative RSB. Currently we have determined that
with an RSB of -118 it will look correct and join with the following ண ன ல
ள consonants correctly.

Please notify us when you develop a testable version so we can look at it
and tell you whether it's working correctly under pure OT like e-Tamil OTC.

Thank you very much!

--
Shriramana Sharma