[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit Malayalam test results

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 08:52:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 1:44 PM, pravin.d.s at gmail.com
<pravin.d.s at gmail.com> wrote:

> 0D64 " <reserved> and 0D65 " <reserved> are reserved and For viram
> punctuation, use the generic Indic 0964 and 0965. [2] So ideally we should
> put Malayalam script full stop there.
>
> Does Malayalam have specific glyph for full stop?  If not then i think we
> can remove it from font.

Dandas may not be required for Malayalam language orthography but they
are required for Sanskrit language orthography in Malayalam script.
Hence all Indic fonts (including Tamil) should contain the danda
characters.

And AFAICS no Indic scripts have any other full stop distinct from the
regular full stop. The regular full stop should not be removed in any
Indic script font since people expect to use it. Recently I saw even
Marathi books in Devanagari script that use it.

--
Shriramana Sharma ஶ்ரீரமணஶர்மா श्रीरमणशर्मा