[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit Malayalam test results

Sneha Kore snekore at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 12:29:44 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Thanks to all for such a thorough evaluation & testing for Lohit Malayalam.
The mail by Santhosh Thottingal was truely informative from an improvement
perspective.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014On 31 January 2014 11:10, Santhosh Thottingal <
> santhosh00 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lohit Malayalam test results using SMC's test suite attached for
>> https://fedorahosted.org/releases/l/o/lohit/lohit-malayalam-ttf-2.91.0.tar.gz
>>
>> The pdf shows the rendering mistakes that Ani can point out to
>> Sneha/Pravin. The chillu ര്‍ is mapped to റ + ് + zwj. That is should be
>> removed and keep only ര + ് + zwj
>>

> Agree. Even i did not found any reference for same. Will remove it.

I do agree as well. I have removed the mapping to റ + ് + zwj .

>> Also remove the glyph for Samvruthokaram which is non standard
>>

> Yes, that is regression after fixing in earlier version. [1]

 As this is non-standard, it has to get removed . so the sfd file has been
modified to reflect the changes .

>> There is a duplicate glyph for U+0030
>>

> Yes

Now, we had kept a single glyph i.e. one to which unicode value & unicode
char  gas been assigned .

>> There are a few glyphs without any ligature rules. eg: glyph206, glyph209
>>

> Yes, we missed rule for those.

 The Lookups has been updated with the rules for proper formation of the
ligature .

>> lllamlm_viramamlm.half_vamlm glyph looked like a hack.
>>

> This ligature was there in lohit 2.5.4 as well. This come with bugfix [3]
> Yes adding direct ligature does not looks good solution as our aim is to
> have compact font. Same time need to find some reference for same.

Yes. This is the bit we are hanging in. yet not getting the solution for
this. Better if you have a look at link
http://www.unicode.org/L2/L2007/07393-mala-dot-reph.pdf (page 6)
{specifically v2, v3 & v3 sections } . Please let us know if you have any
solution. Will surely work in that direction.

>> Is there any reason to include Devangari danda and double danda in this
>> font?

Pravin Satpute & Shriramana Sharma had already answered about this.

Ani Peter had helped in design issues. Shriramana Sharma had explained the
thing about inclusion of dandas, very nicely.

Thank you once again for the feedback. I had reported & resolved all these
issues (except the one i.e. lllamlm_viramamlm.half_vamlm ) on github
https://github.com/pravins/lohit/issues?state=open. The changes are now
updated in lohit2. Those will be updated in lohit in next release as pravin
has said.

Thanks & Regards ,

Sneha Kore