[lvm-devel] lvmcache in writeback mode gets stuck flushing dirtyblocks

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Jul 30 11:32:11 UTC 2019

Dne 30. 07. 19 v 11:23 Lakshmi Narasimhan Sundararajan napsal(a):
> Hi Zdenek,
>
> Thank you for the acknowledging the issue.
>
> I may not be at a liberty to choose the environment always, as most of the
> major distributions come bundled with 2.02.133
>
> I have two followup questions.
>
> 1/ Is there a way to tell that a particular version has very critical bug
> (like the one I reported)? Nothing short of hitting it seem the way to confirm
> currently.

See  'stable-2.02' branch WHATS_NEW  file content:

https://sourceware.org/git/?p=lvm2.git;a=blob_plain;f=WHATS_NEW;hb=refs/heads/stable-2.02

Huge amount of bugfixes and improvements.

> 2/ which is the nearest stable release that addresses this particular issue?

2.02.185....

> 3/ Does latest lvm stable work well in old distributions, Linux kernels too?
> Whats the compatibility matrix here?

For cache or thin I'd not use anything below 4.20 kernel.

Also note - we do provide support upstream - not for every individual distro
out there in Universe.

If you want/need to backport individual fixes into your version - you will
likely need to ask for this service your distro provider.

lvm2 is maintained to be fully backward compatible (version 2.02)
so it should work with almost any distros - to the point we are informed
about bug/problem :)

HEAD of git master is a bit more experimental (2.03)...

Regards

Zdenek