[mgmt] release: 0.0.13

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 00:15:34 UTC 2017

I've just released version 0.0.13 of mgmt!

I guess this is an appropriate number for a scary October release.

We recently re-licensed to the more permissive GPL. I put a lot of
thought into it, and also wrote up a short blog post about some of the
reasoning. It's here:

https://ttboj.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/copyleft-is-dead-long-live-copyl
eft/

If you read to the end you'll also see that Red Hat is not funding my
mgmt work anymore. This is too bad, and means I'll only have small
amounts of personal time available to work on this. If you'd like to
help fund my work, or know someone who'd like to, please let me know!

Having said that, there's some great new stuff that landed since
0.0.12, including:

* new resources from new contributor Jonathan Gold (aws, group, user)

* an HCL frontend from new contributor Chris McKenzie

* polish in a number of places including in the nspawn resource

and so much more... If you'd prefer to have releases more often, then
please let me know! Lastly, the language and a number of associated
parts are on its way. I hope to push this monster patch to git master
before February.

It's also worth mentioning that we have 17 resources now! wow.

NEWS

* Many improvements to tests, testing and small fixes to avoid false-
failures on travis.

* golint now reports 0 issues.

* An HCL frontend if you'd prefer that to the YAML. Also a great
example of how to plug in a new frontend.

* An update to golang 1.8 as the minimum version required.

* Bump the etcd version to 3.2.6+ -- Looking forward to a 3.3 release
which should probably include some patches we upstreamed.

* Addition of new user and group resources. These also include a bunch
of automatic edges.

* Addition of an AWS resource! I've wanted this for a while, as it
demonstrates nicely how event based cloud resources can fit nicely into
our design. There's still a lot to do, and we have some suggestions for
Amazon too. If you have a contact there, please put me in touch!

* Our nspawn resource is more polished now.

* See the git log for more NEWS, and for anything notable I left out!

MISC

We're still looking for new contributors, and there are easy, medium
and hard issues available! You're also welcome to suggest your own!
Please join us in #mgmtconfig on Freenode IRC, or ping this list if
you'd like help getting started!

MENTORING

We offer mentoring for new golang/mgmt hackers who want to get
involved. This is free and friendly. You get to improve your skills,
and we get some patches in return. Ping me off-list for details.

THANKS

Thanks (alphabetically) to everyone who contributed to the latest
release:
AdnanLFC, Arthur Mello, ChrisMcKenzie, Dennis Kliban, Ismael Puerto,
James Shubin, Jonathan Gold, Juan Luis de Sousa-Valadas Castaño, Juan-
Luis de Sousa-Valadas Castaño (although I suspect the last two are the
same ;))

We had 9 unique committers since 0.0.12, and have had 38 overall.
Run 'git log 0.0.12..0.0.13' to see what has changed since 0.0.12

Happy hacking,
James
@purpleidea