[mgmt] intro questions

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 18:33:38 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-02-24 at 18:37 +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Hi,

Welcome!

> I looked through mgmt, blogposts, docs, examples and code for half a
> day now.

I hope it wasn't too confusing to have to dig through the different
places to get the information you needed.

>  I love the ideas

Thanks!

>  and think mgmt + systemd could be a kubernetes replacement for
> smaller use cases.

> Some questions came up during reading:
>
> a) What is etcd used for when I run a single instance of mgmt?

It's not, unless you had some code that used some world.* function.

As an aside, the etcd/ part of the code base is one of the last
remaining bits of older code which needs a bit of a clean-up. I'm about
1/2 way through this clean-up, and if I end up implementing etcd as a
storage interface, then you could build a "noop" storage for cases when
you *don't* want etcd running at all. But it's not a priority of mine.

If you really want the standalone case and want to sponsor or write
this feature, let me know.

> b) What is the general flow of execution of mgmt?

Not sure what you mean here, can you elaborate?

> c) Can you point to important entry points in the code to get an
> overview?

I don't have good docs on the overall code base yet. I have given this
information as part of technical workshops, so if you're interested in
that I could arrange one. I am happy to point you in the right
direction for a specific patch you're interested in working on.

> d) What is the smallest core of mgmt that I can execute to start
> exploring the rest from this core? E.g. can I run mgmt over graph
> files and ignore everything about lang parsing for the beginning?

What are graph files? (You can run the mgmt engine without running the
language front-end if that's what you're asking.)

> And bonus e) How much would I need to pay you so that you continue
> the development of mgmt in Haskell? :-)

I considered haskell in the beginning, but for many reasons it wasn't a
good fit. If you like functional programming and/or FRP, you might like
our DSL language which is mostly "functional".

Funding however *is* encouraged, since I'm doing this out of my own
savings.

https://www.patreon.com/purpleidea

> I also filled my first issue:
> https://github.com/purpleidea/mgmt/issues/472