[olpc-software] Power efficient theme engine

Ivan Krstic krstic at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Jun 3 22:09:20 UTC 2006

Mike Hearn wrote:
> Do people agree such a thing would be worthwhile?

So worthwhile, in fact, that we have a Summer of Code hacker working on
it. Here's the summary part of his proposal:

---
While GTK+ is a very convenient set of libraries to design great
graphic applications, it needs a lot of work to fit into the OLPC
project. The enhancements can be related to global hardware
performance and power saving (like the blinking cursor example in the
project proposal), or just to the fact that the screen resolution is
640x480.

I have been working with GTK+ for some time now, I know the various
toolkits and libraries quite well, and diving into the GTK+ code
itself to make it ore hardware-efficient looks at the same time very
challenging and exciting.

The project also implies some work on a particular GTK engine and
theme to let everything fit well on the screen, and be very usable,
both in color and B&W mode.
---

--
Ivan Krstic <krstic at fas.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D