[olpc-software] welcome to the olpc software mailing list

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Mon Mar 6 18:08:31 UTC 2006

Alan,

I've had a number of conversations with a number of the Maemo folks
(both Nokia employees and others), and don't anticipate any problems.
Everyone I've talked to is eager to collaborate and help (no surprise,
we face similar challenges).  Also, Mathew Allum (author of Matchbox,
Xepher, xrestop, and lots of other goodies) has offered his help (his
little company, OpenedHand is funded by Nokia, but independent).

A fair amount of the interesting kernel work is being done in Brazil at
a research institute that Nokia funds, rather than inside Nokia itself,
and the patches are already available.  I can dig up a link to this
stuff out of my mail when needed.

There are at least 2 issues I'd like to see serious kernel work start on
(Alan: hint, hint, ;-))
	1) the tickless patch; I sort of gather that said patch isn't yet ready
for merging with Linus's tree (IIRC, MP support wasn't working),
	2) Getting OOM processing hooks out into user space: the window manager
is the place where we know what the user cares about the most.  Right
now, the kernel randomly picks something to kill, usually X ;-).
I don't know what state that work is in at all, or whether the approach
being taken makes sense.
				- Jim