[olpc-software] welcome to the olpc software mailing list

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 6 18:16:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 01:08:31PM -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> 	1) the tickless patch; I sort of gather that said patch isn't yet ready
> for merging with Linus's tree (IIRC, MP support wasn't working),

Indeed, although IBM are currently working on major cleanups of the timer code
not much is happening on this although Xen may motivate people soon with luck.

> 	2) Getting OOM processing hooks out into user space: the window manager
> is the place where we know what the user cares about the most.  Right
> now, the kernel randomly picks something to kill, usually X ;-).

OOM is already optional. You just set no overcommit and the system will limit
address space allocation to a given percentage of ram + swap to make OOM
fairly close to impossible.

Alan