[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Mar 15 19:09:23 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 10:17 -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
> Yep, but do we now require people to download FireFox? That would surely be
> a harder sell than getting them to download a plugin that will work in the
> browser they are using. We already do that.

I think it'd be an easier sell really. It's a well known, professionally
marketed brand, and Microsoft have disabled ActiveX so it's no longer
easier to install plugins than applications. Also some people already
have Firefox, and it gives immediate end-user benefits other than
platform features.

There are also lots of developers familiar with the web, and lots of
documentation.

> Given that the web came after 1990, one wonders why its shapers were so
> unable to understand what was already being done for and by end-users

Hindsight is always 20-20 ;) Maybe you should ask Tim BL?

thanks -mike