[Open-scap] Problems installing OpenSCAP on Amazon Linux?

Simon Lukasik slukasik at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 00:40:36 UTC 2014

On 08/23/2014 09:38 PM, Greg Elin wrote:
> A colleague asked me if OpenSCAP would work on Amazon Linux. I said I'd
> try...
>
> Has anyone done this? My initial attempt failed because the OpenSCAP
> repos were not found by running Yum on AWS Linux.
>
> - EPEL shows up as installed
> - Amazon has prioritization turned on for their repos, but I tried a
> `yum --disablerepo="*" --enablerepo="epel" list available | grep
> openscap` with no results.
>
> I have more information from attempts, but before sharing additional
> details, I thought I would ask if anyone had experience...
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greg Elin
> http://govready.org - Making FISMA compliance easier for innovators

Hello Greg,

Excuse my ignorance, but I don't fully comprehend what is Amazon Linux
and how it is build. I have read through the Amazon documentation and
FAQ and it was not clear to me how is this thing cooked. When closely
looking at the CVE stream, it reminds me Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. So,
it perhaps is its customized derivative.

I didn't found a documentation on how can I contribute to Amazon Linux.
Hence, I cannot help you with having Amazon there.

If I was in your shoes and I needed to use Amazon Linux, I would file a
bug with them to include OpenSCAP.

Best regards,

--
Simon Lukasik