[Open-scap] OVAL content authoring tool

Pravin Goyal pravin.goyal at outlook.com
Mon Apr 4 04:18:28 UTC 2016

Thanks, Simon. I am getting started.

So far, I have figured out that we need below steps:

1) Ensure that templates are in place in one directory (call it templates) and the template to actual oval content creation works -
    a) Have OVAL xml templates (the way you desire a particular probe based check to look like - for example, disabling services, checking file permissions, etc.). Take from existing or create your own.
    b) csv files that contain the entry in the required format for a particular probe based check
    c) Python scripts to take each line item in csv and convert it into an OVAL xml based on the desired template

2) Edit Makefile to build just oval content
    a) That means combine oval singletons into one big oval assessment content
    b) have boilerplate information such as xmlns, generator, etc. in place

Are the above steps good enough for oval content creation? Am I missing any steps?

I am yet to work through all the steps above and just figured out the information for now. If there is anything that helps jumpstart this, it would be great, else, not a problem. I will eventually figure it out. (I come from security and compliance background and not pure developer background - so this might be at times difficult for me. But, perhaps, I will take some help locally).

Thanks and regards,
Pravin Goyal