[Open-scap] OVAL content authoring tool

Šimon Lukašík slukasik at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 08:09:16 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 06:18 AM, Pravin Goyal wrote:
> Thanks, Simon. I am getting started.
>
> So far, I have figured out that we need below steps:
>
> 1) Ensure that templates are in place in one directory (call it templates) and the template to actual oval content creation works -
>     a) Have OVAL xml templates (the way you desire a particular probe based check to look like - for example, disabling services, checking file permissions, etc.). Take from existing or create your own.
>     b) csv files that contain the entry in the required format for a particular probe based check
>     c) Python scripts to take each line item in csv and convert it into an OVAL xml based on the desired template
>
> 2) Edit Makefile to build just oval content
>     a) That means combine oval singletons into one big oval assessment content
>     b) have boilerplate information such as xmlns, generator, etc. in place
>
> Are the above steps good enough for oval content creation? Am I missing any steps?

It is about right.

There are some things that I would mention as well, but you are perhaps
already familiar with:

 * There are OVAL files that are not generated from templates.
 * Templating mechanism is introduced only for multiple checks that
share the logic
 * Look at templates in Debian/ directory. Guys there has been able to
run the templates only during the build process. That should be the way
forward in other directories as well.
 * The content authors tend to contribute XCCDF and OVAL together per
check. Writing bigger OVAL part and then following with XCCDF is not
that common.

Best,
~š.