[Open-scap] CNSSI-1253 Profile being developed for RHEL7 Workstation?

Jan Lieskovsky jlieskov at redhat.com
Thu Feb 11 10:46:08 UTC 2016

Hello Mike,

  thank you for reaching out.

----- Original Message -----

The CNSS No.1253 profile from RHEL-6 has not been ported to RHEL-7
system in SSG upstream yet. The corresponding upstream ticket is:
  [1] https://github.com/OpenSCAP/scap-security-guide/issues/858

So I would recommend to watch progress done there.

> I’m working through the scap-workbench build process…looking for
> insights/direction on what’s involved with such an effort?

SCAP Workbench itself can't help with porting existing RHEL-6 profile
to RHEL-7 security checklist. The code for that profile first needs
to be merged upstream [1].

> I’m on rocky ground when it comes to “catalog” versus “Profile” in this
> environment, so any insights on this are also relevant.

Refer e.g. to:
  [2] https://github.com/OpenSCAP/scap-security-guide/pull/550

for an example what it means to port specific profile from one RHEL product
to another.

> What I’m particularly interested in is modifications of CNSSI-1253
> low/low/low to increased levels/controls.

Also interested in modifications of existing RHEL-6 CNSS No.1253 profile
against different overlays? Or is this question just RHEL-7 specific?
(IOW aforementioned answer(s) hold).

Thank you && Regards, Jan.
--
Jan iankko Lieskovsky / Red Hat Security Technologies Team