[Ovirt-devel] Create VM page

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Mon Aug 25 22:41:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 20:45 +0200, Chris Lalancette wrote:
> The second describes things we need to know about the guest, such as whether it
> supports ACPI/APIC, whether it supports virtio, etc.  This is equivalent to the
> --os-type and --os-variant options in virt-install.  It basically describes to
> taskomatic what to put in the XML so that we can boot with the right options.

The one thing that leaves a bad taste in my mouth about all this is that
similar information is currently hardcoded in virt-install (mostly in
virtinst/FullVirtGuest.py) The data there has gotten more comprehensive
over time, and will only become more complex over time.

If we need this for oVirt, it's probably time to split that hardcoed
data out from virt-install; maybe just invent an XML format for it, with
clear definitions of what all the fields mean. That would eventually
also make it possible for cobbler to provide distro info in a
well-defined format (e.g., if Fedora starts to publish that metadata
with each tree)

In any event, hardcoding that data in virt-install felt wrong, and
hardcoding it a second time in oVirt would be even wronger.

David