[Ovirt-devel] Some architecture diagrams

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 16:00:08 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:40:08PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:34:39PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> > Two questions:
> >
> > (1) Can we make it so 'yum install ovirt' on an existing Fedora machine
> > pulls down enough software so that ovirt WUI can start up?
>
> Probably can for F9 - FreeIPA rpms should be going into F9. We can add
> ovirt RPMs to F9 too, so the whole thing should be yum installable.
> Would need to document / provide a setup script for the post-install
> config steps - eg the postgresql database.

We already have a setup script for the appliance that does this, so
not a big deal. One other thing we should do to make the oVirt WUI
play nicely I think (we talked about this some yesterday) is mount the
whole thing under a top-level URL servlet-style -- so
http://example.com/ovirt or something. Then we don't necessarily care who
else is using Apache or for what purpose, provided of course they
don't already have something proxied at /ovirt, which I think is a
reasonable requirement.

I think the first thing we need to do to make things easier is what
Scott is already working on, namely make it possible to run the WUI
and its supporting workers without a kerberos server at all. This will
for the moment free developers from having to worry about FreeIPA or
any network configuration at all, really.

> > (2) Are the managed hosts and iSCSI servers _really_ necessary?
>
> Only if you want something to manage. In theory the oVirt WUI ought to be
> able to manage any machine running libvirtd. Only hard part would be if
> the machine in question already had guests running - we'd need to make
> sure oVirt could 'import' them to its world view in some sensible way.

We should point out in the documentation that the oVirt host image is
stateless -- i.e. if you boot a machine with it it's not going to
touch the disk on that machine. This makes borrowing a machine to use
as a managed node much less painful.

We depend on more than just libvirtd being on the managed node -- we
also use mDNS to advertise the existence of the host to the admin
node, and collectd to forward stats to it. On the other hand if we
really wanted to we could provide a way to look for a host running
libvirt at a particular IP, and if found manage that host. I suppose
that makes the admin node more useful for the general case, but I'm
not sure how high a priority we should make it.

> > Question (2) => we shouldn't need any managed hosts or other servers,
> > just to start up the WUI.  Obviously it won't be very functional, but it
> > should at least start up.
>
> Sure, it'll start up just fine.

Well, once we remove the Kerberos requirement, it'll start up just
fine <g>. But that is on the way.

Take care,
--Hugh