[Ovirt-devel] Skipping the Browser :)

mark wagner mwagner at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 02:53:29 UTC 2008

Chris Lalancette wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> Is everything in ovirt that can be accessed as a GUI (and performed by
>> the GUI) accessible as a web service (by this, I mean something simple
>> like XMLRPC or JSON-over-REST?).    Can there also be an ovirt command
>> line for simple scripting integration?
>
> The answer right now is "no", but it's something basically everyone has asked
> for, so it's definitely on the roadmap.  We have to define the API, then
> implement the underlying API, and then (possibly) port the web application over
> to using that API.  Agreed that it is a very useful thing to have.

This is certainly something that I feel we should start on sooner rather than
later.  From my perspective, it will be a major enabler to getting any type
of useful automated testing implemented.  From a selfish perspective, it
is needed before development of limit / scaling tests can be considered.

While I realize that there are tools out there to twiddle WUI's in an automated
manner, an ovirt API would allow scripting of the basic stuff (and hopefully
basic++ stuff too :)

-mark