[Ovirt-devel] Virtual machine configuration screen

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 21:10:01 UTC 2008

Scott Seago wrote:
> Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> The initial set of configurable options that I'm looking at are:
>>
>> Cobbler integration:
>>   - a name for the virtual machine (should be unique)
>>   - a notes section [1]
> We may want to make a small model change here. Right now, we have a
> single field, called 'description' in the model, but displayed as
> 'name'. We may want to keep description (for the notes field) but add an
> actual 'name' field. We're also not checking uniqueness -- but that's a
> more general comment -- we need a major overhaul of validation rules for
> model params.
>>   - a way of listing available system profiles or image profiles
> Is this something we should keep a copy of in the PG database, or should
> we just grab a list of cobbler profiles when displaying the form to the
> user (and then store this as a string)?

I don't think there's a need to store this in the PG database.  However,
it might be useful to store the profile name along with the VM data.  That
way in the VM details you can see what profile was originally used to
provision the VM.  That make sense?

>>   - the number of CPUs to use [2]
>>   - the amount of memory for the VM [2]
> These are already on the 'new VM' form.

I think Darryl is thinking ahead longer term here.  In addition to being
able to set the RAM and VCPUs, appliance images might require default
RAM/CPUs to operate.  So the interface will need to change to have a
minimum that is specified by the appliance definition.

>>   - a way of specifying a set of optional arguments for koan
>>   - a field for setting the MAC address (must be unique)   Anybody see
>> anything missing?
>>
> We have a mac address for each VM now -- it's auto-generated with a
> random value, but the user can change it. The whole MAC thing will have
> to be reworked if we end up supporting multiple virtual NICS for VMs.

When you randomly generate the MACs are you obeying the prefix convention
for KVM guests?

Perry