[Ovirt-devel] Re: Virtual machine configuration screen

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 21:16:45 UTC 2008

+++ Scott Seago [28/07/08 16:56 -0400]:
> Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
>> The initial set of configurable options that I'm looking at are:
>>
>> Cobbler integration:
>>   - a name for the virtual machine (should be unique)
>>   - a notes section [1]
>
> We may want to make a small model change here. Right now, we have a
> single field, called 'description' in the model, but displayed as
> 'name'. We may want to keep description (for the notes field) but add an
> actual 'name' field. We're also not checking uniqueness -- but that's a
> more general comment -- we need a major overhaul of validation rules for
> model params.
>
>>   - a way of listing available system profiles or image profiles
>
> Is this something we should keep a copy of in the PG database, or should
> we just grab a list of cobbler profiles when displaying the form to the
> user (and then store this as a string)?

I think it would be best to grab a copy the first time we need them and then
either hold onto it in memory for a time. I don't think we should be storing
that list in our schema, though. We can easily and quickly get the list from
Cobbler when/as needed.

>>   - the number of CPUs to use [2]
>>   - the amount of memory for the VM [2]
>
> These are already on the 'new VM' form.
>
>>   - a field for setting the MAC address (must be unique)   Anybody see
>> anything missing?
>>
> We have a mac address for each VM now -- it's auto-generated with a
> random value, but the user can change it. The whole MAC thing will have
> to be reworked if we end up supporting multiple virtual NICS for VMs.

Multiple per individual VM, do you mean?

--
Darryl L. Pierce, Sr. Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. - http://www.redhat.com/