[Ovirt-devel] Virtual machine configuration screen

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 22:34:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 11:10 -0400, Darryl L. Pierce wrote:
> The initial set of configurable options that I'm looking at are:
>
> Cobbler integration:
>    - a name for the virtual machine (should be unique)
>    - a notes section [1]
>    - a way of listing available system profiles or image profiles

You should also have a quick look at Genome[1] - I don't think it's
quite ready for prime time, but ultimately that's the kind of
provisioning solution you want to integrate with. From the oVirt side,
it shouldn't require much more metadata than cobbler (essentially, just
a list of puppet classes on top of Cobler metadata).

>    - the number of CPUs to use [2]
>    - the amount of memory for the VM [2]
>    - a way of specifying a set of optional arguments for koan

It's probably better to specify exactly which options need to be
supported. Ultimately, the only bits of metadata that integrating with
cobbler adds should be

      * The kernel/initrd to boot into (though the user might think of
        this as selecting a cobbler distro/profile)
      * The kickstart to use (again, expressed as a cobbler
        distro/profile) plus any template variables needed for that
        kickstart

Any data that is needed to actually construct the VM should be
independent of cobbler - from a user's point of view, cobbler only comes
into play when the VM is at the point where a kernel is booted.

> Questions:
>    - should we also include iptable configuration?

Do you mean iptables on the host ? If so, I don't think that is really
related to cobbler integraton, more around 'OVirt networking'.

David

[1] http://genome.et.redhat.com/index.php