[Ovirt-devel] Re: Virtual machine configuration screen

Hugh O. Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 15:35:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:16:10AM -0400, Perry N. Myers wrote:
> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>>
>> Just thinking out loud, but if there is a "public" cobbler server.. it
>> is possible that there is some subset of the available profiles which
>> they may want to enable via oVirt. For example.. "Dont touch DEV
>> machines". This could be controlled via security, assuming both are
>> using the same user base.
>
> That sounds like something that would need to be maintained in the oVirt
> database and not in Cobbler itself.  i.e. oVirt would get from Cobbler
> the list of valid profiles to pick from, but it would only display in the
> drop down box profiles X, Y and Z because for User foo only those
> profiles are valid.
>
> So this means that we'd need to have a provisioning administration screen
> that allows an Admin user to select from the available cobbler profiles
> for different entities in the system (i.e. Users and Pools).
>
> This would potentially be a nice feature, but I think it is an add on
> after we get the base provisioning set up.

We had actually been thinking in terms of another screen (part of
hardware pool or VM pool quota) that would let an administrator choose
valid profiles for that pool. Something like that probably comes
closer to what we really need, and as Perry says would need to be
maintained in the oVirt database.

Take care,
--Hugh