[Ovirt-devel] Re: Virtual machine configuration screen

Perry N. Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 14:16:10 UTC 2008

Bryan Kearney wrote:

> Perry N. Myers wrote:
>>

>> Bryan Kearney wrote:

>>> Are you assuming a dedicated cobbler service which is part of oVirt,
>>> or integration with a sepertae cobbler server? If the latter, do you
>>> have an issue with items being managed in cobbler which should not be
>>> in oVirt?
>>
>> Both.  We need to be able to integrate with an existing cobbler server
>> if one exists and if it doesn't we need to be able to create a new
>> cobbler server.
>>
>> As for 'hiding' specific profiles/images from oVirt, that is not
>> something we have considered.  What would the use case for this be?
>>
>> Perry
>>

> Just thinking out loud, but if there is a "public" cobbler server.. it
> is possible that there is some subset of the available profiles which
> they may want to enable via oVirt. For example.. "Dont touch DEV
> machines". This could be controlled via security, assuming both are
> using the same user base.

That sounds like something that would need to be maintained in the oVirt
database and not in Cobbler itself.  i.e. oVirt would get from Cobbler the
list of valid profiles to pick from, but it would only display in the drop
down box profiles X, Y and Z because for User foo only those profiles are
valid.

So this means that we'd need to have a provisioning administration screen
that allows an Admin user to select from the available cobbler profiles
for different entities in the system (i.e. Users and Pools).

This would potentially be a nice feature, but I think it is an add on
after we get the base provisioning set up.

Perry