[Ovirt-devel] Can anyone help here

mark wagner mwagner at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 03:40:57 UTC 2008

As I mentioned ina different mailing list earlier today, I am having lots of trouble trying to get
an appliance up and running when following the directions on the ovirt installation webpage. This
email expands on that bit and is intended to capture the issues and hopefully the answers :)

The use of an F8 dvd and the kickstart file provided results in a failure every time on multiple
pieces of hardware and when trying it in a guest. When trying on baremetal, it always gives a python
error that scrolls off of the screen, in a guest it fails when trying to mount the cdrom that it
already has mounted and is booting from. Yes I did try to fake it by manually unmounting, etc.

I also have tried to use virsh to create a guest using the image provided but that fails with no
error given (already explained as a bug in another mail list, but no help in getting to the root of
the problem)

I have created yum repos for ovirt and freeipa based on the kickstart file.  The ovirt repo updates
my Dom0 as follows:
kernel.x86_64                            2.6.25-0.50.rc2.fc9    ovirt
kvm.x86_64                               61-1.fc9               ovirt
libvirt.x86_64                           0.4.0-4.fc8ovirt2      ovirt
livecd-tools.x86_64                      014-2pxe.fc9           ovirt

When I install all of them on the host and try to reboot with the new kernel, it can't find my
logical volume that the file system is on and, well, let's just say things go downhill from there.

Am I wrong to assume that the stuff on the ovirt site should work ?

Are people building "new wui appliances" or just working off of the instances that they have ?

Can someone give a definitive answer as to what versions of the kernel, kvm and libvirt are needed
at this point in time ?

the versions on the system I am focusing my devel effort on are:

[root at wui ~]# virsh -c qemu:///system  version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.4.0
Using library: libvir 0.4.0
Using API: QEMU 0.4.0
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.9.0