[Ovirt-devel] How to handle 3rd party code?

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 20:13:24 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort wrote:

> As long as we follow a process of 'use pristine upstream + temporary
> patches', it should be fairly easy to script the import/update of newer
> upstream versions. I would put those things into a separate
> 'ovirt-js-modules' or similar and keep them out of the main ovirt-server
> git, with the assumption that developers will install/update that RPM
> separately.

So if, for example we need to modify the css for a javascript library
component you're suggesting we should only keep the patch in our repo
instead of the modified file? Most of our local changes are
ovirt-specific styling tweaks that wouldn't be appropriate for upstream
inclusion.  Of course if these modules RPMs depend on the main
ovirt-server RPM then we'd have to remember to install them separately.
> To avoid problems with the directories into which those files go, we
> should see if either Rails or Mongrel lets use reconfigure the location
> of JS libs - Rails plugins should be less problematic, since we can
> always futz with LOAD_PATH.

Off the top of my head I"m not sure if LOAD_PATH changes are sufficient
to find plugins but there's probably something we can do in the config
here. For the javascript stuff though it either needs to be in the
standard location or symlinked there since  the rails expectation is
that all CSS/javascript files are located in the same dir -- and we've
got ovirt-specific files that we control that need to be in those dirs too.

Scott