[Ovirt-devel] ipa-server conflicts with mod_ssl

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Apr 10 10:29:33 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 09, 2009 at 02:38:31PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Just about every https+apache configuration I've seen in the last many
> years used mod_ssl.  This requirement on ipa-server means I cannot use
> mod_ssl, this is sub-optimal as I now have to learn a new system to put
> our purchased fedora-cert on this system so https:// doesn't throw a
> self-signed error for users browsers.

This is a really bad packaging decision from Fedora/IPA server. There
are two competing SSL plugins for Apache, mod_ssl and mod_nss. Fedora
and IPA should standardize on one, and ditch the other and make sure
everything works with the chosen one.  I've no idea why IPA wants mod_nss
instead of mod_ssl - particularly with everyone else in the world mostly
using mod_ssl it is certainly a PITA having this imposition from IPA.

Daniel