[Ovirt-devel] host not shown in default hardware pool

Ingmar Schraub is at eseco.de
Fri Apr 17 13:19:00 UTC 2009

Hugh O. Brock wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 10:49:33AM +0200, Ingmar Schraub wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am new to ovirt and please bare with me if my question has been asked
>> before. I googled, studied the wiki and searched the bug list. But I
>> couldn't find anything similar.
>>
>> I've just set up a new server with F10, fully patched and installed
>> ovirt using the Rawhide build instructions.
>>
>> All seems to work nicely, but I am stuck at one point.
>>
>> After 'sudo ovirt-install-node-stateful' followed by a host reboot I
>> started the appliance again. My problem is that the host is not shown at
>> all in the default hardware pool. Any hints what's going wrong here?
>> What could be missing that the appliance doesn't see my host?
>> Networking, bridge, etc. is all ok.
>>
>> I had also to tweak /etc/httpd/conf.d/ovirt-server.conf because the
>> ovirt-appliance httpd doesn't start with the config file provided. There
>> is already a ticket open on bugzilla. (#489819).
>>
>> Thanks a lot in advance.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Ingmar
>>

> Hello there, and thanks for trying oVirt!
>
> The Rawhide install instructions are a bit dated now (I need to update
> them), and in fact I'm not sure they will work at all. The current
> install instructions are at
> http://ovirt.org/install-instructions.html, so you might want to read
> those before going further.
>
> Having said that, if you are operating on a single machine, the thing
> that would prevent your host from showing up at all in the default
> hardware pool could be two things: 1. a networking failure, or 2. your
> host has only 1 NIC. We have recently found a bug in which
> ovirt-identify-node, run from the ovirt-post init script, fails if
> there is only one NIC on the machine.
>
> You might try running ovirt-identify-node from the command line and
> see if that makes the host show up.
>
> Take care,
> --Hugh

Hello Hugh,

thanks for the hints! I'll try the procedure described in the 'Install
Instructions' document as you suggested.

My machine comes with 4 network interfaces.

ovirt-identify-node needs two parameters: host+port. I assume host is
the management (ovirt appliance) machine. Which port must be used? 5762
(qpidd)? Sorry, but couldn't find this information.

Maybe you have seen my second e-mail from today which had the log
snippets. For me it seems like the rawhide way isn't configuring
kerberos completely and therefore the host is not showing up on the
managment machine.

Thanks a lot,

Ingmar