[Ovirt-devel] Is there a plan for managing physical servers as well ?

Fabien Dupont evenit at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 13:24:15 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I'm a complete newbie to oVirt but not to underlying technologies such as
cobbler and libvirt, and I'm maybe not the first to ask...

I'm looking for a complete solution to manage my hosts, both virtual and
physical. oVirt uses Cobbler for provisionning, Augeas for configuration,
FreeIPA for identity management... but those technologies are not specific
to virtual machines. In fact, I already use Cobbler to provision all of my
machines, Puppet (which has a binding to augeas in latest release) to
configure my nodes and we are looking close at FreeIPA (thinking of
migrating from OpenLDAP). From my point of view, a virtual machine is just a
special case of generic machine.

Thus, I wondered if there's a plan to provide generic machine management in
oVirt, even if the name is tied to virtual machine ;)
Or you may know another project doing it.

Thanks.

--
Fabien