[Ovirt-devel] oVirtBIOS : (High-Performance) Virtualization Firmware

Guillaume FORTAINE gfortaine at live.com
Sun Dec 27 16:28:17 UTC 2009

Dear Dennis,

> Why should I care? Don't get me wrong the idea sound interesting but I
> don't really see why it is so vitally important to put the HV right
> into the BIOS. The problem is that you loose support for a lot of
> hardware that cannot be booted with coreboot.

Our engineering solution comes from a real world problem : faulty
firmware (BIOS or UEFI) implementations prevent efficient I/O
Virtualization. To quote David Woodhouse, lead Intel embedded software
developer for the Linux Kernel and principal maintainer of the file
drivers/pci/intel-iommu.c  [0] ( Intel's I/O Virtualization, to provide
high performance inside the virtual machines ) [1] :

"Well done, Dell and HP -- although I didn't think it was possible, you
have _further_ lowered my already-unprintable opinion of closed source
BIOSes and BIOS engineers"

"We _really_ need open source firmware.

Or at _least_ firmware written by competent engineers -- but I think
we've all fairly much given up on that happening by now?"

Many commits of the file intel-iommu.c are related to BIOS bugs [2] [3]
[4] [5] [6] [7].

And it is evident that Intel will not be able to test each firmware
version on each IOMMU capable Hardware.

By ensuring a full use of hardware capabilities inside Virtual Machines,
through a custom Virtualization Firmware, it lowers the TCO (Total Cost
of Ownership), thus requiring less frequent hardware upgrades that can
be substantial saves on a large scale volume or a critical requirement
for budget aware customers.

> Earlier this year we had to come up with a virtualization solution to
> host 80 VMs quickly and our first shot was VMWare ESX but that failed
> because ESX refused to work with the commodity hardware we were using.
> So we went with RHEL Xen instead which works beautifully on pretty
> much any system precisely because it isn't so closely wedded to any
> particular hardware.
> I think using a regular BIOS that boots a minimal Kernel/Initrd from a
> flash chip gives you pretty much the same benefits of a tiny footprint
> but actually works with pretty much every machine out there.

We would greatly appreciate to invite you to a further reading of this
Phoronix article entitled : "KVM Virtualization Performance With Linux
2.6.31" [8] :

"The disk benchmarks took a large hit when running Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic
Koala" within a virtual machine using KVM, but that is to no surprise
considering the setup."

"Benchmarking Apache with the Kernel-based Virtual Machine took a huge
performance hit,"

Our engineering target is to achieve 1:1 parity in terms of performance
between real-hardware and a virtual machine.

Each product has specific needs that is why we are very pleased that you
were satisfied by your Virtualization Solution, to quote : "So we went
with RHEL Xen instead which works beautifully", however it will not be
the case for performance and budget aware customers.

Best Regards,

Guillaume FORTAINE

[0]
http://git.infradead.org/iommu-2.6.git/blob/e0fc7e0b4b5e69616f10a894ab9afff3c64be74e:/drivers/pci/intel-iommu.c