[Ovirt-devel] ovirt-early script, scan_for_swap method

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 14:42:42 UTC 2009

Alan Pevec wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Darryl L. Pierce <dpierce at redhat.com> wrote:
>> In writing up the boot description wiki page[1] I found a method in
>> ovirt-early called scan_for_swap. But I can't find any reference to
>> this script anywhere, nothing seems to be invoking it. Is this
>> unused and should be removed?
>>
>> [1] http://ovirt.org/wiki/index.php?title=Node_Boot_Sequence
>
> I moved swap scanning into a function recently and wanted to discuss
> whether we want to do such scanning or use only swap area created by
> ovirt-config-storage on /dev/HostVG/Swap
> Chris, since you originally wrote that swap scanning, what do you
> think - should we keep adding all swap areas in sight? I think this
> could be problematic as we add clustered storage.

I'm sort of on the fence about it.  On the one hand, it is quite convenient to
get swap for "free" if you happen to boot the PXE image on a machine that
already has an OS on the hard drive.  On the other hand, things like clustering
and full administrator control are important, so we don't necessarily want to be
doing things behind the admin's back.  Can we disable the scanning by default,
but add a PXE boot option to enable the scanning for developers?

--
Chris Lalancette