[Ovirt-devel] ovirt-early script, scan_for_swap method

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Mon Jan 5 14:56:53 UTC 2009

Chris Lalancette wrote:
> Alan Pevec wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Darryl L. Pierce <dpierce at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> In writing up the boot description wiki page[1] I found a method in
>>> ovirt-early called scan_for_swap. But I can't find any reference to
>>> this script anywhere, nothing seems to be invoking it. Is this
>>> unused and should be removed?
>>>
>>> [1] http://ovirt.org/wiki/index.php?title=Node_Boot_Sequence
>> I moved swap scanning into a function recently and wanted to discuss
>> whether we want to do such scanning or use only swap area created by
>> ovirt-config-storage on /dev/HostVG/Swap
>> Chris, since you originally wrote that swap scanning, what do you
>> think - should we keep adding all swap areas in sight? I think this
>> could be problematic as we add clustered storage.
>
> I'm sort of on the fence about it.  On the one hand, it is quite convenient to
> get swap for "free" if you happen to boot the PXE image on a machine that
> already has an OS on the hard drive.  On the other hand, things like clustering
> and full administrator control are important, so we don't necessarily want to be
> doing things behind the admin's back.  Can we disable the scanning by default,
> but add a PXE boot option to enable the scanning for developers?

I agree with this approach...  By default only use swap created by
ovirt-config-storage unless a kernel param like use_existing_swap is
passed in via PXE.

Darryl can you create a patch for the function that Alan split out for
swap scanning to do this?

Thanks,

Perry

--
|=-        Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston        -=|
|=-                     Email: pmyers at redhat.com                      -=|