[Ovirt-devel] only seeing one NIC in network device editor

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 12:22:50 UTC 2009

Justin Clacherty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I click on "Edit Network" on my managed node in the hosts tab of
> the oVirt UI I only see one NIC.  My managed node has 2 NICs, one on
> the guest network and one on the admin network.  The NIC on the admin
> network is not listed in the network editor.  Is this normal?
>
> I'm trying to create a VM and boot the cobbler profile I created for
> Fedora 10 but I can only boot the VM on the guest network for some
> reason (presumably because that's the only NIC appearing in the
> network editor for the host).
>
> Cheers,
> Justin.
Yes, this is the way it's currently set up to work. In the 2-or-more
network use csae the admin network is intended for node communication
only. On the node, the admin network is the only one that gets an IP,
and the guests are not intended to use this network (in our testing
environmnent the admin network is completely unconnected to anything but
the oVirt server and the nodes). If your node had 3 NICs on it you'd
have 2 networks to choose from for your guest.

There is a problem with the current implementation in that it does not
support a single-network installation right now. We're currently working
through determining what needs to be done to support this, but in the
case where you only have a single network we will have to allow guests
on the admin (and only) network.

Scott