[Ovirt-devel] iscsi storage creation

Justin Clacherty justin at redfish-group.com
Thu Jun 25 16:30:01 UTC 2009

Scott Seago wrote:
> Ian may be able to provide a more complete answer, but there are a
> couple things  that are probably going on with the 39GB vs. 40GB size.
> First of all, if you've got a 40GB iSCSI LUN and you want to create an
> oVirt storage volume under it, we're creating a Volume Group on the
> LUN and creating Logical Volumes as storage volumes via libvirt, so
> the size available for a single LVM volume on the lun will be slightly
> smaller due to the LVM overhead.
>
> The second issue is that while libvirt (and the oVirt DB) deal with
> storage sizes internally in KB, we're using GB in the UI at the moment
> and converting on the back end. This means for now you can only deal
> with an integral number of gigabytes. We need to do some re-thinking
> on how we handle storage and memory units -- in the above case you may
> have been able to create a 39.6GB volume (or some other value between
> 39 and 40 GB).
I figured it was something like that, I was just checking before I asked
if gigabytes was the most appropriate value for the UI.  Perhaps there
should be a way to say "use the remaining free space".

>   If you really want to use the whole 40GB lun for a single VM you
> don't need to create an LVM volume -- just use the iscsi lun (shown in
> the UI as an iscsi storage volume).
hmmm...when I tried this the first time it didn't work for me so I just
assumed you had to create the LVM volume.  I'll try it again without
doing that.

My plan was to create a LUN per VM because as I was unsure if multiple
nodes could use the same LUN.  My assumption was that the node mounted
the iSCSI LUN and exported it as a disk to the VM.  In the case of
volumes under the LUN, the node would mount the LUN and export the
volume as a disk to the VM.  If you have two volumes on the LUN used for
two different VMs it's conceivable they would be running on seperate
nodes so two nodes would be mounting the same iSCSI LUN which is
generally a bad thing.  I guess it should be ok as each node is only
writing to it's own volume on the LUN and not touching the partition
table on the LUN itself.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing :)  Am I justified in worrying about
two nodes mounting the same LUN?

Cheers,
Justin.