[Ovirt-devel] a couple of questions

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Sat May 15 01:47:59 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 10:21 +1000, Geoff O'Callaghan wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> I've only recently joined so please excuse me if I'm asking the bleeding
> obvious :-)
>
> Q1.
>
> I've seen a few patches go by in the last couple of days but only 1 get
> into the ovirt git next branch.  Are they going somewhere else as I'd
> love to test them?

Generally patches get posted to the list and get pushed to the next
branch once they are acked.

> Q2.
>
> I did a build of the ovirt git next branch and created the
> ovirt-node-iso to test and I noticed that it had an unexpected result
> related to thinking that my single  standard local sata drive was part
> of a multipath configuration.  This was due to a null
> /etc/multipath.conf file which is created specifically as part of the
> node/recipe/common-post.ks
>
> What is the plan in this area?   Will multipath enablement be forced or
> as an option to enable it on the ovirt-config-storage menu?

Multipath is the default for all devices that have wwids.  As of now,
there is no plan to change this.  The decision to use multipath for all
devices if possible makes the setup much cleaner and doesn't introduce
any negatives that I see.  It might be possible to make it configurable,
but I don't think that it's trivial to do so.

> Q3.
>
> If I change common-post.ks to add a /etc/multipath.conf with a blacklist
> of '*' it then correctly identifies my local drive for the install -
> however, when doing the storage allocation it gets the sizes wrong so
> there is a calculation bug somewhere.  I didn't see it in bugzilla so
> it's either a new  bug or something wrong with my specific setup or both
> :)   Is it something someone has noticed?

I haven't noticed any calculation errors recently, though I admit that I
haven't looked that closely recently.  When using multipath, do you see
the same issue?

Can you provide the ovirt.log file from the install that shows the
incorrect size?

Thanks

Mike