Trying to build Linux-PAM-0.99.4.0 with FAKEROOT

I'm trying to install Linux-PAM 0.99.4.0 into a fakeroot directory so I can create a package.  None of the incantations I've found online appear to work, and I can't find anything in the make file to make this work.

Is it no longer possible to do this, or can someone help me here?

Thanks,
Eric