pam_cracklib password length problem

k03fra-pam at yahoo.de k03fra-pam at yahoo.de
Thu Apr 26 12:12:31 UTC 2007

I have been attempting enable pam_cracklib to check the minimum password length.
Therefore I've added minlen=10 to the cracklib line of the password section of /etc/pam.d/system-auth of a asterisk at home/CentOS3 installation. All other lines are unchanged.

#%PAM-1.0
#This file ......
password     required    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=10
password     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 shadow
password     required    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

Still passwords with a minimum of 6 characters are accepted. If I change retry to 5, 5 retries are possible. This tell me I must be editing the correct file.
I'm sure something is missing but after searching the web I still can't figure out what it is.