pam_cracklib password length problem

Scott Gentry sgentry6 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 12:42:15 UTC 2007

Are you attempting to change the password as root?  If so cracklib doesn't
check length or any of the other parameters in that line from what I
recall.  If you need passwords by root to be verified I suggest that you
check out the Openwall project.  Specifically the passwdqc module that they
provide:

http://www.openwall.com/passwdqc/

It allows for much more stringent rules to be followed.