pam list size limit?

Wendy Palm wendy at cray.com
Wed Jan 28 22:50:32 UTC 2009

We have a site that uses pam to regulate user logins, and has a unix
group in excess of 2500 user entries which is specified in the
access.conf file.

They were running SLES9 (pam-0.77-221.4) and had no problems.  However,
updating to SLES10 (pam-0.99.6.3-28.8), they are now having problems
with the group list truncating at about 1100 user entries.

Was some default limit changed?  I checked the archives, but didn't see
anything blatent announcing this.  I checked the ChangeLog in the source
code and found an entry that is suspicious (2005-12-21  Tomas Mraz
simplifying evaluate_ingroup), but again, nothing blatent.

What is the limit?  How can I change it (preferably without
recompiling)?  Is this at all possible?

Thanks,

Wendy

Wendy Palm