[Patternfly] disabled buttons

Gabriel Cardoso gcardoso at redhat.com
Tue Aug 18 13:17:03 UTC 2015

Hello,

> Has anyone else shown a disabled button on a grey background? Is it an issue that it blends in?

We do have this in a table:

Button is disabled until a row is selected.

> Is it better to use links for inline actions like these and to only display the link when it is available (rather than trying to have a disabled state)?

I would use a link for this type of inline action, a button doesn’t seem necessary (visually). Regarding displaying the link, it is weird to just hide it in some situations (if you have situations where it IS possible to Retry), the user might think “why can’t I retry? there was an option here before…”. A solution for that would be to inform that it is not possible to retry. You could have, for example:

X Failed (not possible to retry)

Thanks,
Gabriel

Gabriel Cardoso