[Patternfly] Recommended date picker widget?

Andreas Nilsson anilsson at redhat.com
Mon Mar 9 23:30:07 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-09 10:31, Petr Vobornik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We would like to implement/use a datetime widget in FreeIPA Web UI.
> There hasn't be any development in this thread so I wonder if [5] is
> still the way to go.
>
> So I would like to ask some questions:
>
> 1. Has anybody done any datepicker components evaluation?

I did a brief evaluation of different pickers as part of solving a
design issue in Cockpit.
https://github.com/cockpit-project/cockpit/pull/1842#issuecomment-77399646

I looked at bootstrap-datepicker [1], Bootstrap 3 Datepicker and
DateTimePicker [3].

1. https://github.com/eternicode/bootstrap-datepicker
2. http://eonasdan.github.io/bootstrap-datetimepicker/
3. http://www.malot.fr/bootstrap-datetimepicker/demo.php

It's all very confusing that they all have very similar names :)
However.

It all depends on your goals, but for Cockpit, bootstrap-datepicker
(option 1) seems to be the best fit.
In the case of the System Time UI mentioned above, my analysis was that
in a lot of cases you just want to set the right hour (such as in the
case of daylight saving) since the rest should be correct. And hunting
down for that time change in a submenu felt suboptimal.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cockpit-project/cockpit-design/08fe40537052e6cc33051c986c635ce0fdc3beaf/timendate/timendate.png

For the Systemd timer design, it also allowed consistency across the
different time intervals by always having the time be input boxes and
use other elements for the others
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cockpit-project/cockpit-design/master/services/timers.png

And for the Journal a control to pick the date, not the time seems
gradual enough, at least for now.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cockpit-project/cockpit-design/master/journal/journal-v3.png

- Andreas
<http://eonasdan.github.io/bootstrap-datetimepicker/>