[Patternfly] PatternFly for Vue?

Jonathan Yu jawnsy at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 15:07:12 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:44 AM, Andres Galante <agalante at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hey Jonathan,
>
> Vue sounds really intresting, yesterday I've read the best tweet about it:
>
> https://twitter.com/sarah_edo/status/797574272692748288

I follow Sarah too, and saw that tweet, it's certainly quite the
endorsement coming from her!

> I am not a javascripter, but I wonder how the web components story aligns
> with Vue.
>

>From what I can tell (I also can't call myself a JavaScript or even a web
guy), Vue borrowed the syntax from Web Components to form their *.vue
component files (though it's not mandatory - you can define everything
using the JavaScript API).  I think they borrow concepts heavily from a
bunch of other frameworks, which is a really good sign for me: it means
they're looking around the ecosystem, figuring out what works, and adopting
it.

So you can author Vue components with the ease with which you author Web
Components, Polymer, or Angular templates, but everything gets compiled
down to fast JavaScript (similar to React).  I think the main advantage
right now is practicality: Web Components are awesome, and I believe
they're the future of the web, but it'll be some time before the future
gets here (many folks still use IE8 or IE9, not to mention older mobile
devices that no longer receive updates).  So Vue lets you write Web
Component things but in a way that's compatible with any ES5-supporting
browser (IE9+), and in a way that performs well (the comparison mentions
that Polymer works on IE9+ using polyfills, but is very slow as a result).