[Patternfly] PatternFly for Vue?

Brian Leathem bleathem at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 23:56:18 UTC 2016

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for reaching out to the PatternFly ML with your question about
VueJs.  I love the enthusiasm you're sharing around this new framework!

To date Patternfly supports jQuery and Angular 1 development through the
patternfly "core" [1] and angular-patternfly [2] projects.  We have had a
number of requests to add support for both Angular 2, and React.  This is
our first request for VueJS support :-)

As you can imagine, scaling out to support each new javascript web
framework with a set of "native" components for that framework is just not
an approach that would scale.  In the above scenario we would go from 2
javascript behaviour implementations for each of our patterns, to 5
implementations - that's a significant increase!

As such we've been looking heavily at pursuing a web component approach for
supporting the next generation of javascript web frameworks.  With a web
component approach we can support many new frameworks with the introduction
of a single new development stream.  We are currently working out a
prototype architecture for such a web component [3] approach, and are
hopefully to have a roadmap to share shortly on how we plan to move forward
with such an approach.

If you would like to investigate web component interop with VueJS
(specifically using the custom elements spec), I would be very interested
to hear your results.  Alternatively, you are more than welcome to build
off the Paternfly CSS with your own javascript behaviour implementations -
I'd also be happy to hear of any progress you make in this regard.

Cheers,
Brian Leathem

[1] https://github.com/patternfly/patternfly
[2] https://github.com/patternfly/angular-patternfly