[Patternfly] Truncation guidance for long names

Matt Carrano mcarrano at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 18:08:02 UTC 2016

Hey Patternflyers,

I am currently working on the Tendrl storage console project and need to
come up with some guidance on how to truncate long names that may appear in
our UI.  I'm thinking of things like hostnames, disk names, and other types
of objects that may take on a potentially long path name based on user
naming.  PatternFly currently provides some general guidance, but no
specific rules.

I'm curious how you are handling this on other projects as I know it's a
common problem.  Do you truncate in the middle of the string, the end of
the string, or have another method?

Any advice or examples will be welcome.

Regards,

Matt