[Patternfly] Truncation guidance for long names

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Sat Oct 8 15:59:39 UTC 2016

Hi Matt / all,

This gets tricky when you have machine names in your listings!
my_super_important_vm_1
my_super_important_vm_2
his_super_important_vm_1

^ Either way you truncate that "column", someone's going to lose some
important info, and looking through the column will be frustrating for the
users.

In oVirt, we take the simple approach and truncate at the end. And, in most
places where there is truncation, hovering over the truncated string shows
you (via tooltip) the entire string:

[image: Inline image 1]

My recommendation for PatternFly: recommend / default to end truncation
with "...". I like the hover-show-full-name feature -- that's something UX
people should discuss re: if it should exist and what it would look like.
(We use PF tooltips, but I could see other widgets being useful.)

Best wishes,
Greg