[PatternFly] Java Implementation

Harald Pehl hpehl at redhat.com
Fri Oct 18 10:03:08 UTC 2019

Hi Greg,

> On 18. Oct 2019, at 11:45, Greg Sheremeta <gshereme at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> It might be useful for the RHV team. RHV is a very large GWT codebase.

How can I reach out to them. Is there a mailing list?

> However, are you concerned that GWT is abandoned? Last release is 2 years old (http://www.gwtproject.org/release-notes.html <http://www.gwtproject.org/release-notes.html>), and last I checked only Java 8 was supported.
>
> My thought is: this sounds like a lot of work to stay on a stale platform that will probably have security issues. Why not use that effort switching to react and getting patternfly 4 for free?

The codebase of HAL is quite large (~ 140k LoC). The work to port that to React is much higher than writing a Java implementation of PatternFly 4.

Besides although GWT has become a bit quieter, it’s not abandoned or dead. It’s rock-solid and produces very efficient and performant JavaScript code. Security issued are still addressed. There’s a small community bringing in new features and preparing a new major release.

// Harald