LinuxThreads & NPTL compatibility

Trevor Lobban trevor_lobban at lineone.net
Fri Jun 18 14:58:35 UTC 2004

Hi,
    I've been searching for confirmation that LinuxThreads and NPTL are binary compatible for 'well written' applications (i.e sensible use of getpid and don't use any NPTL only features [process-shared etc.])

Can I build a thareded application on SLES 8 and expect it work on Red Hat AS 3 (or even AS 4)? The reason I ask is I notice the size of the pthread_cond_t has changed between SLES 8 and Red Hat AS 3 albeit the size increase appears all padding.

If the size is a problem, can I simply ensure that the memory I declare for my condition variables on SLES 8 has sufficient padding for the extra 36 bytes required by Red hat AS 3?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Trevor