Not all interfaces come up

Adrian van Vuuren adrianvv at synaq.com
Wed Dec 21 11:00:27 UTC 2011

Hi,

We have a direct lvs setup with 15 or so virtual balancers over 5 IPs with a master and backup pulse (heartbeat).
ipvsadm-1.25-9.el6.x86_64
piranha-0.8.5-7.el6.x86_64

What we're finding happens is that one or two (it varies) of the alias interfaces don't come up, seemingly randomly. This happens on a start, a restart, relocating to the backup pulse box, relocating back to the master pulse, etc. Following which the alias interfaces that don't come up need to be brought up manually before those balancers work.

Has anyone seen something like this before?
Logs don't show any failures or warnings, just making sockets available and creating monitors.

Our balancers all follow a similar configuration template for example:

virtual balancer-http {
     active = 1
     address = XX:XX:XX:01 eth0:5
     vip_nmask = 255.255.255.192