[Pki-users] DogTAG PKI - crlDistributionPoints cert profile: Type_0 : URIName error

sean.veale at gdc4s.com sean.veale at gdc4s.com
Fri Oct 22 13:14:02 UTC 2010

Hi, Usually there is  a reference to a Impl classID so the CA knows what
to function/class to call when generating this part of the cert.

For my system (built on Redhat CS 8.0 instead of dogtag but those
codebases are very similar) I have this in my cert profiles and it
generates the Crl dp entry in the cert without errors.

policyset.userCertSet.13.constraint.class_id=noConstraintImpl
policyset.userCertSet.13constraint.name=No Constraint
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.class_id=crlDistributionPointsExtDefaul
tImpl
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.name=CRL Distribution Points Extension
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsCritical=false
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsNum=1
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsEnable_0=true
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsPointName_0=http://
xxx.xxx.xxx/crl/xxx.crl

I don't believe you need to specify the No Constraint fields, as I just
have them in there if later I wanted to enforce a specific CRL
distribution point, it would require less updates to the profile.

This line here is the one I think you need.
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.class_id=crlDistributionPointsExtDefaul
tImpl

As it tells the CA what class to call into when generating this part of
the cert.

I don't think this is needed either, but it was in the example certs
from the CS 8.0 install so I left it.
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsNum=1

I presume it is just letting the CA know after you added one CRL to the
cert you can move on but I have dug into the code to find out.

Sean

This message and/or attachments may include information subject to GDC4S
O.M. 1.8.6 and GD Corporate Policy 07-105 and are intended to be
accessed only by authorized recipients.  Use, storage and transmission
are governed by General Dynamics and its policies. Contractual
restrictions apply to third parties.  Recipients should refer to the
policies or contract to determine proper handling.  Unauthorized review,
use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not an
intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of
the original message.

Section B.1.4. of the RH admin guide refers to the following acceptable
values
for crlDistributionPoint Type:

DirectoryName
URIName
RelativeToIssuer

Using PKIConsole, I have added to the caUserCert profile a policy for
include a CDP as follow:

policyset.userCertSet.13.default.name=CRL Distribution Points Extension
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsCritical=false
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsEnable_0=true
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsPointType_0=URIName
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsPointName_0=http://
xxx.xxx.xxx/crl/xxx.crl
policyset.userCertSet.13.default.params.crlDistPointsReasons_0=

after profile re-activated, and new request generated, I get the
following error on the agent interface:

The Certificate System has encountered an unrecoverable error.

Error Message:
/java.lang.ClassCastException: netscape.security.x509.Extension cannot
be cast to netscape.security.x509.CRLDistributionPointsExtension/

Please contact your local administrator for assistance.

Any Ideas what could be wrong ?

Thank you.