[Pki-users] Update CA name "CA Signing Certificate" to a more meaninful name

Marc Sauton msauton at redhat.com
Sat Aug 16 21:22:03 UTC 2014

On 08/16/2014 12:28 PM, Ricardo Alexander Alexander Perez Ricardez wrote:
> Hi, I create a CA in Interactive way, with default values:
>
> pkispawn use this file: etc/pki/default.cfg
>
> This file contains the value: pki_ca_signing_subject_dn=cn=CA Signing Certificate,o=%(pki_security_domain_name)s
>
> Therefore, the CA is created with the default value: "CA Signing Certificate"
>
> I would change this to a more meaningful name, It’s possible update or change the name “CA Signing Certificate” to a new value name?
>
> pkispawn use argument -u "update instance of specified subsystem", It's possible to update the value using this option?

It is in fact highly recommended to customize all the subject names, and
HTML pages if used.

cp -p /usr/share/pki/ca/conf/CS.cfg /usr/share/pki/ca/conf/CS.cfg.orig
vim /usr/share/pki/ca/conf/CS.cfg
preop.cert.signing.userfriendlyname=testms CA Signing Certificate
preop.cert.audit_signing.userfriendlyname=testms CA Audit Signing
Certificate
preop.cert.ocsp_signing.userfriendlyname=testms OCSP Signing Certificate
preop.cert.sslserver.userfriendlyname=testms SSL Server Certificate
preop.cert.subsystem.userfriendlyname=testms Subsystem Certificate

The u option of pkispawn was removed.
There is now a tool called pki-upgrade to update those config files or
template when there is a package update or a manual change, so the
existing instances can get the newer config files.
But in this case, the certificates need to be re-issued, so it is more a
change before creating a CA instance.

Thanks,
M.