[publican-list] Formatting Articles, a discussion of BZ #494147

Ruediger Landmann r.landmann at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 05:07:27 UTC 2009

On 12/03/2009 02:02 PM, Jeffrey Fearn wrote:
> The difference you are talking about is user controlled content and
> not formatting, there is almost no difference in the way the same
> content is formatted.

True. What I'd personally like to see in articles is even more minimal
front matter. Taking

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/readme-live-image/en-US.html

as an example, I'd prefer to see:

* the Product Name and Article Name combined into one line and reduced
in size

* the logo gone or reduced in size

* author names, affiliations, and email addresses collapsed into one line

* Table of Contents turned off (or at least turned off by default)

* Legal notice reduced in size and moved to the end of the article (or
maybe a footer)

* Revision history reduced in size and perhaps limited to only the last
revision?

I think that this would better present a short piece (without the
formatting overwhelming such a short piece of writing) and that the
resulting doc would more easily lend itself to inclusion in a longer work.

Maybe I should mock this up to better illustrate what I have in mind?

Cheers

Rudi